HERE IS THE LIST OF TOP 10 MOSQUES IN PAKISTAN
1- FAISAL MOSQUE
FAISAL MOSQUE is a mosque in Islamabad the Capital of Pakistan. It is the National Mosque of Pakistan, and one of the largest Mosques in the world. It is named after King Faisal of Saudi Arabia. It was the biggest mosque for a period of six years(1986-1993).
This mosque is a major tourist attraction in Pakistan, Islamabad in particular, and is referred as a Contemporary and Influential feature of Islamic architecture.Construction of the mosque began in1976 after a $120 million grant from Saudi King Faisal, whose name the mosque bears.
The unconventional design by Turkish architect Vedat Dalokay was selected after an international competition. Without batypical dome, the mosque is shaped like a Bedouin tent, surrounded by four 260 feet(79 m) tall minarets. The design features Eight-sided shell shaped sloping roofsforming a triangular worship hall which can hold 10,000 worshipers. Combined the structure covers an area of 54,000 square ft, the mosque dominates the landscape of Islamabad.It is situated at the north end of Faisal Avenue, Putting it at the Northernmost end of the city and at the foot of Margalla Hills, the western most foothills of the Himalayas. It is located on an elevated area of land westernmost foothills of the Himalayas.It is located on an elevated area of land against a picturesque backdrop of the national park.
The Faisal Mosque was the largest mosque in the world from 1986 until 1993, when it was overtaken by mosques in MENA region of Saudi Arabia. Faisal Mosque is now the fourth largest mosque in terms of capacity.
2- BADSHAHI MOSQUE
Badshahi Mosque: It is one of the historical place in Pakistan. The Badshahi Mosque (Urdu: Badshahi Masjid/مسجدبادشاھی), or the Emperor’s Mosque, was built in 1673 by the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb in Lahore, Pakistan, near the Minar-e-Pakistan. It is one of the city’s best known landmarks, and a major tourist attraction epitomizing the beauty and grandeur of the Mughal It has four minarets. Two are minor and two are major.
It is the fifth largest mosque in the world.The Badshahi Mosque was built by Emperor Aurangzeb in 1671,with construction of the masjid lasting for two years until 1673. The masjid is an important example of Mughal architecture, with an exterior that is decorated with carved red sandstone with marble inlay. It remains the largest masjid of the Mughal-era, and is the second-largest masjid in Pakistan. After the fall of the Mughal Empire, the masjid was used as a garrison by the Sikh Empire and the British Empire, and is now one of Pakistan’s most iconic sights.The mosque is located adjacent to the Walled City of Lahore, Pakistan. The entrance to the mosque lies on the western side of the rectangular Hazuri Bagh, and faces the famous Alamgiri Gate of the Lahore Fort, which is located on the eastern side of the Hazuri Bagh. The mosque is also located next to the Roshnai Gate, which of the original thirteen gates of Lahore, which is located to the southern side of the Hazuri Bagh. Near the entrance of the mosque lies the Tomb of Muhammad Iqbal,
MUHAMMAD IQBAL a poet widely revered in Pakistan as the founder of the Pakistan Movement which led to the creation of Pakistan as a home land for the Muslims of British India.Also located near the mosque’s entrance is the tomb of Sir Sikandar Hayat Khan, who is credited for playing a major role in preservation and restoration of the mosque.
3- GRAND JAMIA MOSQUE
GRAND JAMIA MOSQUE LAHORE (Urdu: گرینڈمسجدجامع) is a Mosque Located in Bahria Town, Lahore, Pakistan. With a capacity of 70,000 worshipers, it is the Third Largest Mosque in Pakistan and the Fourteenth Largest Mosque in the World. Designed by Nayyar Ali Dada,
It was INAUGURATED on Eid al-Adha on 6 October 2014. It can Accommodate 25,000 worshipers indoors, while the Courtyard and Corridor leading to the main HallS of worship can Accommodate a total of 70,000.The Architecture is influenced by Badshahi Mosque, Wazir Khan Mosque and Sheikh Zayed Mosque, with construction costs of over 4/FOUR billion rupees (or Approximately $39 million).The structure comprises four minarets,each 165 Feet tall, and a grand dome, which is surrounded by 20 smaller Domes. Theexterior is surfaced with 4 million handmade Multani tiles. The interior is decorated with Custom-made Carpets imported from Turkey and over 50 chandeliers imported from Iran. One of the floors consists of an Islamic heritage museum displaying rare Quranic collections, an Islamic library and also an Islamic art gallery with various antique artifacts. Over Four million Multani handcrafted mosaic Tiles cover the surface area of the mosque.
The base of the entire structure is Elevated Twenty feet above the ground, with the rooftop elevating to Eighty feet and the Grand Dome placed in the center surrounded by Twenty smaller Domes. Marking the extremities of the entire structure are the towering minarets standing one hundred sixty-five feet Tall. The mosque includes Six arched shape wooden doors and then dazzles you with views of white chandeliers, Tile-mosaic and Fresco of extraordinary beauty. The Center Dome is the crown jewel of this magnificent piece of craftsmanship. Rising Forty feet, in height and spreading Fifty feet.
4- DAI ANGA MOSQUE
This Mughal Mosque is situated in the Naulakha area, southeast of the Fortress-like Railway station. You can Approach it from the railway station, but it might be simpler to travel north east on Nicholson Road from Qila Gujjar Singh Chowk, and continue straight across Allama Iqbal Road (formerly Mayo Road), Past the Presbyterian Church and Bohar wala Chowk. The comparatively narrow road veers left, terminating in a dead end at agate guarding the railway platform beyond the fence. On the left is a gate behind which is situated a mosque built by Dai Anga Zeb-un-Nisa,
A wet nurse of Emperor Shah situated a mosque built by Dai Anga Zeb-un-Nisa, Her family had been closely associated with the Mughal imperial family her husband Murad Khan served Jahangir as Adawlati or Magistrate of Bikaner, and her son Muhammad Rashid Khan, reputed to be one of the best archers in the kingdom, died fighting in the service of Shah Jahan’s eldest born Dara Shaikh. Zeb-un-Nisa herself was highly regarded by Shah Jahan. Passing through the gate one is over awed by the magnificent structure of Dai Anga’s mosque. Although a lot of restoration work has been carried out on the building—much appears to belong to later-period restorative efforts—it cannot take away from the magnificence of the original restorative efforts—it cannot take away from the magnificence of the original structure. The design of the mosque is based on a single-aisle 3-bay plan form—
A comparatively simplified version of the spectacular mosques built by the Mughals. The Prayer chamber is divided into three compartments by means of lateral arches. The central bay, larger than the others, has exceptionally rich decoration. The usual arched recess sunk deeply into the western wall serves as the Mihrab. It is crowned, like its flanking counterparts, with a high double dome placed on squinches composed of Eight small arched panels. The side bays, less elaborately decorated, have double Domes resting on preventives. The elaborately decorated, have double Domes resting on preventives. The central compartment has a pronounced projection created by means of an engrailed arch and a half-Dome embellished with tiled panels. The projected frame is marked with slender pilasters on either corner, while at the two eastern corners of the prayer chamber are square minarets surmounted with a carved platform on which once rested the kiosk.
5- MASJID WAZIR KHAN
The Wazir Khan Mosque is 17th century Mosque located in the city of Lahore, capital of the Pakistani province of Punjab. The mosque was commissioned during the reign of the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan as part of an Ensemble of Buildings that also included the nearby Shahi Hammam baths. The mosque is located in the Walled City of Lahore along the southern side of Lahore Shahi Guzargah, or “Royal Road,” which was the traditional route traversed by Mughal nobles on their way to royal residences at the Lahore Fort.
The mosque is situated approximately 260 metres west of the Delhi Gate, where the mosque is situated approximately 260 metres west of the Delhi Gate, where the Mosque’s Shahi Hammam is locate.The mosque also faces a town square known as Wazir Khan Chowk, and the Chitta Gate.The mosque was commissioned by the chief physician to the Mughal Court,Hakeem ilam-ud-din Ansari, who was widely known as Wazir Khan. Wazir Khan later became the subedar, or Viceroy of Punjab, and commissioned several monuments in Lahore. Wazir Khan owned substantial amounts of Property near theDelhi Gate, and commissioned the Wazir Khan mosque in 1634 in order to enclose the Tomb of Miran Badshah, an esteemed Sufi saint whose tomb now lies in the courtyard of the mosque. Prior to construction of the Wazir Khan Mosque, the site had been occupied by an older shrine to the saint.The mosque’s interior was richly embellished with frescoes that synthesize Mughal and local Punjabi decorative traditions, while the exterior of the mosque was lavishly decorated with intricate Persian-style kashi-kari tilework.Wazir khan’s mosque super seded the older Maryam Zamani Mosque as the Lahore main mosque for congregations Friday Prayers. Wazir Khan’s mosque was part of a larger complex that included a row of shops traditionally reserved for calligraphers and Book Binders, and the town square in front of the mosque’s main entrance.Wazir Khan Mosque features South Asia’s first example of a Purpose-built Central Asian charso azar,or four-axis bazaar -although in the Wazir Khan Mosque adaptation, Two of the Four axises are aligned as the mosque’s entryway, while the other two form the Calligrapher’s Bazaar.
Masjid-e-Tooba or Tooba Mosque (Urdu: یٰطوبمسجد) also known as Gol Masjid,is located in the city of Karachi, Sindh the Province of Pakistan. It is situated in the phase 2 of DHA (Defense Housing Authority),Karachi.The construction of the Mosque began in1966 and completed in 1969. The Mosque was designed by Pakistani architect Babar Hamid Chauhan and the Engineer was Zaheer Haider Naqvi. This Mosque has the Capacity to hold up to 5,000 Peoples. °Claims to be the largest single-dome° Mosque in the world with no Pillars in its Central Prayer Hall. Its huge dome is supported on a low surrounding wall.°18th Largest Mosque in the world as of 2018.
7- MOTI MASJID
Moti Masjid (Punjabi, Urdu: مسجدموتی), one of the “Pearl Mosques“, is a 17th-century religious building located inside the Lahore Fort, Punjab, Pakistan. It is a small, white Marble structure built by Mughal Emperor Jahangir and modified by the architects of Shah Jahan,and is among his prominent extensions (such as Sheesh Mahal and Naulakha pavilion) to the Lahore Fort Complex.
The mosque is located on the western side of Lahore Fort, closer to Alamgiri Gate, the main entrance. Moti in Urdu language means Pearl, which designates a perceived preciousness to Moti in Urdu language means pearl, religious structure. It was an established practice among Mughal emperors to name the mosques after Generic names for Gemstones. Other such examples are Mina Masjid (GemMosque) and Nagina Masjid (JewelMosque), both located in Agra Fort and completed in 1637 under Shah Jahan’s region. The mosque built between 1630–35, is the first among the “Pearl” named mosques, the others built by Shah Jahan in Agra Fort (1647–53), and his Son Aurangzeb in the Red Fort (1659–60).After the demise of the Mughal Empire, the mosque was converted into a Sikh temple and renamed Moti Mandir during the mosque was converted into a Sikh temple and renamed Moti Mandir during the period of the Sikh rule under Ranjit Singh’s Sikh Confederacy (1716—99).
Later, Ranjit Singh also used the building for the state treasury. When the British took over Punjab in 1849, they discovered precious stones wrapped inbits of rags and placed in velvet purses scattered inside the mosque, along with other inventory.The building was later revived to its former status, and the religious relics were conserved at the nearby Badshahi Mosque. The structure, located in the Northwestern corner of Dewan-e-Aam quadrangle, It is completely built of typical of Mughal architecture of Shah Jahan’s times.It is completely built of white marble that was brough tfrom Makrana The facade is composed of cusped arches and engaged baluster columns with smoot hand fine contours.The mosque has three super imposed Domes, Two aisles of fivebays, and a slightly raised central pishtaq,or portal with a rectangular frame.This five-arched facade distinguishes it from other mosques of the similar class with three-arched facades. The interior is simple and plain with the exception of ceilings that are decorated and designed in four different orders, Two Arcuate, and two Trabeated.
8- SHAH JAHAN MOSQUE
The SHAH JAHAN MOSQUE (Urdu: جہاںشاہمسجد), also known as the Jamia Masjid of THATTA (Urdu: ٹھٹہمسجدجامع), is a 17th century building that serves as the central mosque for the city of Thatta, in the Pakistani Province of Sindh. The mosque is considered to have the moste laborate display of tile work in South Asia,and is also notable for its geometric brick work a decorative element that is unusual for Mughal-Period Mosque.
It was built during the reign of Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan, who bestowed it to the city as a token of Gratitude,and is heavily Influenced by Central Asian architecture a reflection of Shah Jahan’s campaigns by Central Asian architecture a reflectionof Shah Jahan’s campaigns near Samarkand shortly before the mosque was designed. The mosque is located in Eastern Thatta the Capital of Sindh in the 16th and 17th centuries before Sindh’s capital was shifted to nearby Hyderabad. It is located near the Makli Necropolis, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The site is approximately 100 kilometres from Karachi. The Shah Jahan Mosque’s architectural style is overtly influenced by Turkic and Persian styles.The mosque is characterized by extensive brickwork and the use of blue tiles, both of which were directly influenced the use of blue tiles, both of which were directly influenced by Timurid architectural styles from Central Asia from where the previous rulers of Sindh, the Tarkhans,had hailed before the region was annexed by the Mughals in 1592. The layout of the mosque may have been influenced by the conservative Timurid style Humayun Mosque in Kachpura,near the city of Agra,in modern day India. The main entryway into the mosque complex is through a Persian style Charbagh, or Quadrangle garden.
9- SHAHI EIDGAH MOSQUE
The Shahi Eid Gah Mosque (Punjabi and Urdu: مسجدگاہعیدشاہی ) is an early 18th Century Mosque located in the Pakistani city of Multan, in southern Punjab. Located on the main Multan Lahore Highway in the Northeast of the oldest Part of the city. The mosque is adjacent to the 20th Century Sufi shrine of Ahmad Saeed Kazmi. Founding The mosque was built in 1735 CE during the reign of Mughal Emperor Muhammad Shah.
The mosque was funded by Nawab the reign of Mughal Emperor Muhammad Shah. The mosque was funded by Nawab Abdul Samad Khan, who was the Mughal Governor of Multan. Sikh Following the fall of Multan to Sikh forces, the Mosque was converted into garrison and was used for Gunpowder storage. In 1848, the Mosque served as site where Sikh rebels, supported by group of 2,000 soldiers that surrounded the mosque,murdered two British emissaries. The event lead to the siege multan and eventual defeat of the Sikh Empire.
In subsequent fighting duringthe Siege of Multan, a British cannon struck the roof of the mosque, causing 40,000 Pounds of Gunpowder to explode, destroying a Portion of the Mosque. British The mosque was used as a court during the early British Period in Multan. They was restored and returned to its original purpose in 1891 at the insistence of Deputy Commissioner H.C. Cookson. Modern After the independence of Pakistan, the courtyard was expanded to accommodate more worshippers. The mosque is spacious, with a vast courtyard and a prayer chamber measuring 250 feet by 54 feet,and features Seven Domes. The mosque’s Exterior is Embellished with Glazed blue Multan style Tiles, while the interior is Ornamented with intricate Mosaics.
10- SUNEHRI MOSQUE
The Sunheri Mosque (Urdu: مسجدسنہری,or Golden Mosque), also known as the Talai Mosque, is a late Mughal architecture-era Mosque in the Walled City of Lahore, capital of the Pakistani Province of Punjab. Sunehri Mosque is located in the Walled City of Lahore Unlike the Wazir Khan Mosque and Badshahi Mosque which were built at the Zenith of the Mughal Empire in the 17th century, the Sunehri Mosque was built in 1753 when the empire was in decline.
The architect of the mosque was Nawab Bukhari Khan, Deputy Governor of Lahore During the Reign of Muhammad Shah. Local shopkeeper had objected to the construction of a large mosque in congested area, so Bukhari Khan acquired a fatwa from local Religious leaders in order for construction to Begin. Sikh Rule: During Sikh rule, the Mosque was seized by Sikh authorities and converted into a Gurdwara, after a copy of the Guru Granth Sahib was installed in the Mosque following Sikhs complaints that the Muslim call to Prayer from the mosque was disturbing their religious ceremonies at a newly constructed Baoli (stepped well) nearby.The mosque was restored in the late1820s after Fakir Aziz uddin Persuaded Ranjit Singh to transfer ownership back to the Muslim Community. The Muslim community was required to reduce the volume of the call to prayer, and forfeited rent from the leasing of shopfronts.The mosque was built on a plinth elevated 11 feet off of the bazaars surface, with shops occupying the Ground floor Beneath the mosque. The shopsrents were used to pay for the mosque’s upkeep. The architectural style of the Mosque reflects influences of Sikh Architecture from nearby Amritsar.